Sunday, October 28, 2012

Beauty- Rethink Your Skincare

Hey girls! For today's beauty post I am touching on skincare, and five bad habits you want to quit, and fast! Any other bad beauty habits you want to break? Tell us about them in the comments below. Xoxo-Paris

1) Over-Cleansing
Yes cleaning your skin is an essential part of a getting a good complexion, but we need to stop at some point. This is a great example of sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. Cleansers are supposed to remove dirt and oils from your skin, not strip our skin down until it's weak and vulnerable! Try exfoliating skin once a week (less or more depending on skin type) and use a gentle cleanser, or one tailored to your specific skincare needs, balanced out with a moisturizer. I use Cetaphil For All Skin Types Gentle Cleanser. 

2) Don't Skimp on the Moisturizer
So many of us are led to believe that using moisturizers will lead to breakouts because it makes skin oily and greasy, but that is completely untrue. Sure some moisturizers are too heavy, but that doesn't mean you need to use them. If you have oily skin, look for a moisturizer that is lightweight. I suggest the Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream by the Body Shop. It sinks in quickly, gets the job done, and is not shiny. For dry skin, look for a moisturizer that provides a sufficient amount of hydration for your skin.

3) Keep it Simple 
I for one have a pretty complicated skincare routine, and I'm sure many of us do, but lots of the time all the products we have in there don't really do much but suffocate our skin in extra product. I have edited my skincare routine to the absolute basics, and it has worked well for me. Now thats not to say that I am only using a few products, that isn't true, but the load of products that I do use are the ones that make significant changes in my skin's quality.

4) Be Careful About How Much Heat Your skin Receives
Steam can be both your skin's friend and enemy. It can clear your pores in a facial steam, and leave you feeling clean, but after that hot, steamy soak in a bath, don't be shy with the amount of moisturizer you use. Your skin gets thirsty too, and we can rejuvenate it with moisturizer.

5) Don't Forget to De-Stress
I know that right before something stressful is about to happen, it takes a toll on my skin. I prescribe at least 10 minutes of pure calm a day. I can assure you that no matter how busy your schedule is,  you can spend 10+ minutes doing something relaxing. Maybe its a quick show you can record and then fast forward through the commercials, (that saves a lot of time!) or flipping through a magazine,  better yet curling up with a hot tea on the couch with a new issue of your favorite beauty or fashion magazine! Whatever it is, we owe it to ourselves, and our skin, to de-stress for a little bit each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment